Wednesday, September 16, 2009

As A Small Child...(For my Baby Brother, on his 20th Birthday)

As a small childI often felt alone
whether in the same room with my vocal family
or from the dark stairwell above
listening to their oh so poigniantly temporary enjoyment of life,
or peacefully alone in a room
memorizing the pattern of a particular wallpaper
or tile.
I would feel the beauty or sadness in a moment
The current of which would sweep me off to another land
A small island
where my soul could sing or cry
dance or bask in the sun soaked rain of emotions
in a way i was unable to around people.
I knew the god they spoke of came from the same space as fairy tales
and that the real power in the universe was
far more Everything
then they let on.
I had chosen to be here
but was a bit lonely
waiting for my kindred.
Someone had to speak this wordless language
of observation!
Michael was finally born into this world when I was 11.
He knew a place a lot like my island.
Said he'd just been there himself.
When I felt that current take me away, I took him with me.
Oh, he was a wise man,
Small and kind.
Stronger then anyone I'd ever met.
Accepted me.
Understood everything.
All the time.
I would sit on the dark steps
holding his pudgy body to my chest
and cry on his shoulder
as he held onto me
because that is what babies are are supposed to do.
12-25-2007

No comments:

Post a Comment